From the Office of Dr. Pedram Mizani, MD, MHSA
President & Chief Clinical Officer | acmedical.org
Former Chief Medical Resident | Morehouse School of Medicine Family Medicine Residency
Last updated: April 4, 2020 at 10:56 AM PST
A Message from our President
Together, we are facing an unprecedented situation. However at AmeriClerkships, Doctors are made no matter the circumstances.
The global COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic is affecting all of our families, businesses, communities, lives and many of our employees are inquiring about the ability to work from home. AmeriClerkships was founded on core values — trust, Member outcomes, innovation, and equality — and our values are unwavering and continue to guide everything we do.
First, our hearts go out to anyone who’s been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly, especially with those who are sick; get the care you need, and get well. Second, we’re truly inspired by the selfless healthcare workers around the world, especially our affiliated physicians and clinical sites who continue to accept our Members. Third, at AmeriClerkships we are focused on the health and safety of our employees, families, members, physician preceptors and patients. Fourth, while this is uncharted territory for EVERY company in the world, the investment we made in AmeriClerkships’ digital infrastructure was to help us handle moments like this. Fifth, at AmeriClerkships “We Make Doctors” no matter the circumstances, so to this end:
- AmeriClerkships has established a COVID-Match Response Team for our Members, led by myself. I am a U.S. medical residency trained family medicine physician, and my Masters Degree thesis was in Bioterrorism, and collectively, our Response Team’s representatives have either personally experienced, or helped others survive, or held leadership roles in the following emergencies & disasters:
- COVID-19 global pandemic (2020 and ongoing)
- Hurricanes Mitch (1999), Katrina (2005), Harvey (2017), Michael (2018)
- Las Vegas Shooting (2017)
- Polar vortex in Colorado (2019)
- California fires (2018)
- Multiple medical student evacuations from Caribbean medical schools to mainland US due to hurricanes (2003 to 2007)
- Multiple mass transplantation of medical students from cancelled hospital contracts to new teaching hospitals (2007 to present)
- Houston floods (2017 & 2018)
- Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)
- Unlike U.S. medical schools who mainly offer clinical rotations at their own medical school, AmeriClerkships’ contracts are directly with physicians and hospitals and therefore, majority of our primary care specialty physicians are seeing patients using innovative telemedicine solutions (including nurse-assisted bedside video rounds) with students and residents from their clinics, and permitting our Members to complete their clinical blocks uninterruptedly by including them;
- Our COVID-Match Response Team is in constant contact with our affiliated clinical sites, and helping guide our physicians in navigating through unique challenges that COVID-19 is presenting everyone with;
- We are steadfast in our commitment to our Members, therefore AmeriClerkships will gladly waive all change fees (except clinical site difference fees) for any rescheduling that may need to occur as a direct result of COVID-19, however we strongly encourage our members to not overlook this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience our healthcare systems response to a global pandemic by reading our COVID-19 plan for our affiliated attending physicians, clinical sites, hospitals and other healthcare facilities;
- Every AmeriClerkships employee is working remotely, and providing the same level of service as it did pre-COVID-19;
- The AmeriClerkships ‘COVID-19 Relief For 2021 Match‘ has started and will have as many phases as needed, with phase 1 carrying the greatest financial incentives to help 2021 Match candidates stay on track and still have a chance to have a residency application which is ready by September 15, 2020. On March 20, 2020, AmeriClerkships began offering all of its unmatched Members, past and present, a free Loyalty Membership with complete 2021 Match support.
- We’ve compiled the below FAQ to answer the most common questions in regards to the virus and its affect on your AmeriClerkships clinical rotations. As the situation changes, we’ll be adding to and updating our response each day to ensure you have answers to any of your COVID-19 questions.
We have amazing teams across AmeriClerkships that are here for you. This moment reminds us that we’re all connected like never before. We’re called upon to be our best selves, with patience, understanding and compassion. On behalf of all of us at AmeriClerkships, we’re committed to being your partner and persevering together in all the days and years ahead.
As we go forward, we’ll be sure to keep you updated, and know that we always value your questions, ideas and feedback.
Thank you for your trust in AmeriClerkships.